Entering the Narrow Gate 2020-2021
School of Spiritual Formation -- Year-long Program
Hosted by Christ the King Episcopal Church
1224 North Jefferson Street (State Route 5)
Huntington, Indiana 46750
Church Office: 260-356-3570; Priest in Charge Fr. Ted Neidlinger
Facilitator: Sister Nancy Brousseau, OP: (616) 560-4580 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Open to anyone who would like to explore the classic elements of monastic, spiritual & contemplative life to discover how this ancient wisdom, learning and spiritual practice might be understood and lived in new settings & life today. The program offers a reflective personal & transformative process for all who desire deeper life in Spirit and more intentional living of the Christian life. The rich and inspiring teaching is centered on the saints, mystics and spiritual teachers of the Christian centuries, personal contemplative prayer practice, lively conversations, and the writing and living of a personal Rule of Life.
• September 2020 to June 2021, Ten Fridays, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• (please bring your lunch, a snack to share is you wish, coffee/hot water provided)
Ten sessions, 9:30 am-4:30 pm; one Friday per month (separate registration form available)
Tuition: $600 (Payment in full or 50% due with registration and 50% due in February)
Required books (may be purchased on Amazon.com at reduced cost) Required editions:
The Wisdom Jesus by Cynthia Bourgeault; The Rule of Benedict. Ed., Timothy Fry Liturgical Press, 1982; The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality by Ronald Rolheiser., The Cloud of Unknowing translated by Carmen Acevedo Butcher, 2009; The Spiritual Life by Evelyn Underhill; Joan of Arc by Mark Twain – with trial proceedings included; Publisher: Ignatius Press; 1st edition (September 1, 1989)
The Deeper Journey by M. Robert Mulholland, jr
The Universal Christ by Richard Rohr
• Attendance at all sessions
• Preparation for each session which has required readings (short background and/or readings from the original writings of each spiritual teacher) and journal questions emailed to participants prior to each session. Participation in class discussion is expected.
• Participation in a four-day silent directed retreat during the year is encouraged – Dates TBD:
• Participants are encouraged to have a spiritual director if at all possible
• Those completing this first year may apply for an 18-month Formation Program & Practicum for becoming a Spiritual Director. Next program begins September 2021 at Christ United Church, DeWitt, MI.
Program Schedule for 2020-2021:
9/4/2020.....Gospel according to John Paschal Mystery and Spiritual Journey
10/2.............Mothers & Fathers of the Desert Contemplative Prayer & Approaches to God
11/6.............St. Benedict and St. Scholastica St. Hildegard of Bingen
12/4.............St. Francis & St. Clare Meister Eckhart
1/8/2021.....Beguine Women’s Movement St. Catherine of Siena
2/5................Julian of Norwich Cloud of Unknowing
3/5...............St. Teresa of Avila St. John of the Cross
4/2...............St. Ignatius of Loyola St. Oscar Romero
5/7...............St. Joan of Arc Evelyn Underhill
6/4...............Dorothy Day Thomas Merton
DOWNLOAD REGISTRATION FORM